The functions of the department mainly involve quality assurance of all activities related to the industry by examining every step in the airline catering process and ensuring that strict hygiene standards are maintained at all levels. To facilitate this, the department has a fully equipped microbiological laboratory, which has the capacity and the strength to analyze samples taken from the point of receiving up to dispatch.
The department also facilitates hygiene training to all food handlers throughout the year, which consist a Hygiene Awareness Programme for newcomers, Formal Food Hygiene Course, Hygiene Refresher Course and an Advance Food Hygiene Course for supervisory grades.
In addition to the above functions, it is the responsibility of the Hygiene and Quality Assurance Department to develop, implement, maintain and improve quality, food safety and environmental management systems in the company, which comprise ISO 9001:2008, ISO 22000:2005 (HACCP) and ISO 14001:2004.
The Flight Kitchen strictly confirms to the ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System, ISO 22000:2005 (HACCP) Food Safety Management System and ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management Systems and meets the requirements of IFSA.
The quality assurance team conducts daily inspections at every stage of the food preparation process including CCPs (Critical Control Points) where temperatures are rigorously monitored. The fully equipped Microbiology Laboratory functioning under the Hygiene and Quality Assurance Department conduct daily microbiological analysis of meals and meal components from raw material up to the eventual meals leaving the Flight Kitchen according to an analysis plan.
Special emphasis is given on following areas:
- All food handlers are given compulsory training on hygiene and a Training Plan is in place.
- All employees are screened for medical fitness at recruitment and routine checkups are done at specified intervals. A sickness reporting procedure is in place.
- Risk of cross contamination is avoided at all stages.
- Clearly defined work procedures and rules are established for the food production areas including cleaning and sanitizing procedures.
- HACCP system is established to control the hazards related to airline catering industry
- Pest control programs are established
Waste management practices are in place
- The concepts of 3 zones are clearly maintained.